"Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable."
TeleMental health services, or distance counseling, can be a viable way to access care in a busy and challenging world: Health challenges, busy schedules, parenting, and transport are just a few challenges that may limit your access to care. Telemental Health is a convenient option, catered to your schedule in the comfort of your own home.
TeleMental health is a trending option for counseling services, however, it is not right for everyone. Before you decide on this route here are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- TeleMental Health, provided through HIPAA compliant video conferencing technology, is available to anyone with a computer, tablet, or viable smartphone.
- You will want to have a good network connection when working with your counselor to ensure continuity in your appointment. Your counselor will discuss alternative methods of communication should you lose connection.
- If you are using insurance, it is good practice to check with your insurance company if they will cover video conferencing based therapy.
- You will need to seek a TeleMental health provider licensed for the state in which you reside, as licensure requirements for the provider require this. Your counselor will confirm your state of residence is the same as his/her license upon intake.
- While you may have therapy wherever you get service, there will be limitations to your privacy if you do not secure your own confidential space for your session.
- Distance counseling is not considered optimal for those who are actively suicidal or in crisis. If you become suicidal or in acute crisis during your time with your distance counselor he/she will direct you to crisis services in your area and continue care when you are stable and safe.
- TeleMental Health services are always voluntary, if at any point you feel it does not work for you, you may discontinue care and choose not to schedule another session.
- Some helpful questions to ask yourself about your experience with TeleMental health services after you have tried it are:
Do I feel an emotional connection?
Did I feel heard and respected?
Did I feel safe?
How was the technical connection?